Monday 15 November 2010

Copying the Hennes Dress

My previous post was typed weeks ago and much has changed since (though I only published it today, whoops!) ... the Day Job project which was near completion now seems to have been extended for another 2 months (ugh) and my SAD has officially kicked in. Bleeeeuuuggghhh, winter. Soggy grass and cold fingers.

Not the most flattering shot, but all I have 'in-dress'
In an attempt to cheer myself up I'm making what is supposed to be a simple garment: a copy of a black Hennes dress, worn on many a successful night out. The dress was given to me years ago by a very fashion-conscious friend who was unfortunately (for her) too skinny for the LARGE size. Huzzah for me, though!

From that day to this, however, many (well, some!) kilos have been shed and alas, my lovely LBD is too big for me. How fate mocks me! So, I've traced pattern pieces by laying the dress flat onto tissue paper, and have taken 0.25" off each outer seam to produce what I hope will be a slightly smaller version. As the back has always been a bit droopy anyway, I've also lowered the back seam by nearly 2" - seeing as I can't wear anything under it boob-wise, I may as well have some fun with the back!

The new fabric is a black & gold stretch of some description (I will learn to make a note of these things when I buy them in future) and cost me £6/metre. Did I mention I only need a metre? That, and £0.48/metre for the stringy stuff to make the halter neck. Tralaaaaaaaa! 

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment