Tuesday 16 August 2011

grimacing compliments


when I went through the security gates at Gatwick this morning on my way to Amsterdam, the guard on duty gave me a wry smile & said, 'you can always tell a frequent flyer'.

ugh.

while, at first, I was chuffed that I'd not invoked the wrath of the summertime airport guard, I'm left with this overwhelming sense of ickiness. To me, being a frequent flyer means:
- getting up at 4am to fly to historic cities that I don't see in order to attend unnecessary meetings;
- hedging my bets by unpacking most of my bag & disrobing of all accessories (shoes, belts, hairclips, glasses, jewellery);
- getting 2 stamps on my Caffe Nero card because the barista recognises me from a few days before.

most importantly, it means being away from home and missing out on normal life (like dinner with friends or just sitting in the garden on a summer evening).

that's not worth anything. to anyone.

(originally published 02/08/2011)

Posted by ShoZu

No comments:

Post a Comment